6.09.2006

PF FLIERS, PORTABLE TYPEWRITERS ...

Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.
One of the first things to catch my eye when I opened the Vermont Country Store catalog was the Simple-to-Use Smith Corona Electronic Typewriter, Efficiency Without High-Tech Headaches.

Now there’s a headline to get you out of the 21st Century and back into the good old days.

No wonder. The Electronic Typewriter is being sold by a Rutland, Vt.-based company that sells things we remember from the good old post-WWII growing up days.

Think Lifeboy or Sweet Heart soap, or PF Fliers- the high tops! Ipana toothpaste (as if your spell check would have a clue if Ipana was spelled right!) Adams brand Black Jack and sour apple gums.

My first typewriter was a portable Smith-Corona. My second typewriter was an electric Smith-Corona. There wasn’t really a lot of difference between the two, besides the obvious electric plug. The keys and characters were all about the same.

The manual typewriter used man finger power to move the bars and levers to make an impression through a ribbon of ink. The electric used electricity to power the levers. Instead of a return bar the electric had a button you pushed.

The manual typewriter had a hard case, made of steel or kryptonite. You could stand on the case – with or without the typewriter in it – and reach things on the top shelf. The electric typewriter had a vinyl cover with a zipper.

Next to my Datsun B210, my Smith-Corona electric typewriter was the most powerful tool I owned in the 1970s. In fact, I still have it.

But I digress from the Vermont Country Store catalog.


Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.
Content may not be used for commercial purposes without written permission.

No comments: