10.15.2007

Life is the New Jersey Turnpike

I guess if anybody would know, it's the folks at AARP The Magazine.

The group's July & August 2007 issue has a story on Things To Know By 50.

Number 42 is How To Stay Married.

This article in "the world's largest circulation magazine" instructs poets to "pretend your relationship (marriage) is a road trip. Your wedding was the Holland Tunnel. Your life is the New Jersey Turnpike. Death is Philadelpia. Pretend there are no exits, only rest stops."

I've actually been to Philadelphia and I don't think it's that bad.

Now, if the Turnpike is your life, ugh, perish the thought, that might explain why so many hapless commuters drive so fast to get to Philadelphia!

The Holland Tunnel a wedding. I've been in that tunnel, and the tiles and the fumes were intoxicating, but but not in a wedding way.

I know I'll never make it as a poet now. I can't "pretend there are no exits, only rest stops."

All I can think of is going home at the end of a long day.

I thank God when it's Friday.

No comments: