2.16.2006

The Passaic River In The Hudson River

On this February afternoon the air approached 60 degrees. I stood at Avalon Cove on the Hudson River and I faced the warm rays of the sun on a winter day. The rays were warm and bright on my face. When I shut my eyes everything was red like tomato soup.

Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.
Keep your hand on that plow, hold on!

When I flipped out my notebook to jot down the image of the winter sun, something flew out of my pad, something tucked in there for safe-keeping from last night: two photos of Nutley on the Passaic River from long, long ago.

One photo landed on the sea-water washed wooden planks at my feet.
The other photo skidded off the first, across the beams and down fifteen feet.
The photo of old Nutley on the Passaic River in the Hudson River floated face up.
Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.

Beyond Bob Dylan singing in my Panasonic CD/MP3 player that I bought for fifty bucks at Costco, I could hear the steady rhythm of a pile driver - the sound - WHOOSH-CLANG WHOOSH-CLANG WHOOSH-CLANK echoing off the buildings and through the nearby passing Chinese voices - could have been coming from across the river or a multi-million dollar building site behind my bench.

Avalon Cove was a place of restive respite on 911.
At sea, a red and yellow tug pushes a barge up river. A New York Waterway ferry races by. Then another ferry passes as the barge and the tug cross the horizon.

From here, the
Top of the Rock seems lost in the skyline and dwarfed by the big rocket of the Empire State Building.

Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.

The record snow fall has all but returned as harmless salted water to the river and side paths.

You see the mothers with babies in strollers, grasping the sunshine and warmth of this odd February day. A dad in short-sleeves sits talking to his little girl in her stroller.

The seagull scouts skim the waters looking for food or a photo of Nutley on the Passaic River in the Hudson River.

By now, the photo is probably half way to Hoboken or Weehawken.
"Come in she said
I'll give ya'
shelter from the storm ..."

-- Bob Dylan
Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.

NOTE: Photos may not be used for commercial purposes without written permission. Photo prints are available for $2.9 million per photo.

Look, if Edward Steichen's 'The Pond - Midnight' photograph can sell for $2.9 million, why not one of mine? His photo is 102 years older than mine! Cash or certified check, thank you.

No comments: