12.29.2005

The Pen Is on the Other Foot - HOF Revisited

NUTLEY, N.J. -- As a writer I don't like to be interviewed.


Or should I say I'm often disappointed by how what I've said in an interview has been repeated, reshaped and reworded.

It doesn't always happen, some of my favorite interviewers have gotten it right each time. But there are other reporters I've spoken with who had virtually nothing right.

Years ago, one reporter had my age off by 10 years. Another story included almost nothing of what I said.

I guess it wouldn't surprise you that I didn't store multiple copies of these in my scrapbook.

When I look at the recent press coverage of the Hall Of Fame I see that there wasn't much. I know there were people there shooting photos upon photos - but no one, it seems, recorded the things that the inductees or their proxies said. That's too bad, because, as one of the proxies, I was in a great position to hear every word.

And folks, those were words worth hearing. No, I'm not just talking about my own words written about HOF inductee & Pulitzer Prize winner Frances Goodrich.

Each honoree spoke kindly of this town and its long-lasting influence on their success. It's just too bad the scribes weren't there to record it. For better or for worse, that is.

Copyright © 2005 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.

Copyright © 2005 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.

Order THE REAL NICK And NORA
Notable Nutley, N.J. Writers
Goodrich Filmograph - IMDb
Up from Zero : Politics, Architecture, and the Rebuilding of New York by Paul Goldberger
Reginald Marsh's New York: Paintings, Drawings, Prints and Photographs by Marilyn Cohen
Old Nutley
The Petite Cafe

Earlier Posting on this subject

Copyright © 2005 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved. Content may not be used for commercial purposes without written permission. Updated May 2008

No comments: