1.08.2006

Passenger's Life Story

Ever have the guy next to you talk your ear off on a bus or subway ride?

It happens once in a while.

Sometimes the guy's a complete stranger, or someone you've seen on the same bus ride from time to time.

But this time he has to tell you something. He has to tell you his life story.

It's like being dropped in an old movie, Strangers On A Train, or something.

Maybe he needs an unbiased ear to hear his story, or is certain you'll never remember anything he says.

But, then again, maybe you'd like some quiet time.

Who does he think he is? Forrest Gump?

This guy once told me about his plans to go to Florida, and what he was going to do there. I couldn't shut him up, you know. He just went on and on until the bus ride was over.

Next time I saw him I asked him when he was going to Florida.

He seemed embarrassed. "I told you that? ... I must have had diarrhea of the mouth. I can't believe I told you that..."

It doesn't matter, you know. I never knew his name. And I never saw him again. Maybe he finally DID go to Florida?

Or maybe he bought a car.

Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.

No comments: