Ten Local Trips to Take Before I Retire

Staten Island Ferry Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved. 1 - Take a round trip ride on the Staten Island ferry

2 - Take an Amtrak trip on a sleeper car like in the old 1940s movies, or something like the Orient Express where you have a private room and sleep as the countryside passes by. Perhaps a trip to New Orleans, or Chicago or someplace the train trip takes overnight to get to and then you wake up and have breakfast on the train.
3 - Take the Metroliner or Acela to Washington or Boston, or both.

4 - Walk across the George Washington Bridge. Preferably in daylight.

5 - Traverse the old Morris Canal across New Jersey, or as many parts of the Canal as are traversable - including Lafayette Village and perhaps a good long look at the Clifton nature center that includes a part of the canal.
Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.6 - Fly over my house in a private plane a la Sky King - that's with me as a passenger.

7 - Take an authorized tour of the PATH operations; go someplace where the tours never go. I'll find out where the cars go when they are out of service. Do they go through a PATH car-sized car wash? Where do they pull up when they get cleaned? What do they - the engineers and conductors - do when it's not rush hour?

8 - Share the poopdeck with the skipper of a ferry as he crosses the Hudson River from New Jersey to Manhattan to New Jersey to Manhattan to New Jersey over and over again.
Construction era photo - Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.9 - Travel to the top of the tallest building in New Jersey and see if I can see Highpoint - then go to the top of Highpoint and see if I could see the Goldman Sachs building in Jersey City.

10 - Take a Jersey back road to a fishing hole that's stocked exclusively for fly fishing & watch the fishermen work their flies.

For as many times as I've seen the Staten Island Ferry cross under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, I've never once set foot on the ark-like ship. The closest I ever came was one time when I met the restaurant ladies at American Park Restaurant in Battery Park. I admit that I was so labored to park I considered putting my car on the SIF and picking it up later when the ship came back after dinner in the upper room.

Anyway, those are a few of the things I would do if, say, I were the transportation writer of a major daily newspaper in a large metropolitan area somewhere in New Jersey.

Leave your manequin behind photo - Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.
Leave your mannequin behind?
Copyright © 2006 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.

Shop at Amazon, through this link, thanks

The Bridge: The Building of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

Morris Canal: Across New Jersey by Water and Rail (Images of America)

1 comment:

Anthony Buccino said...

Of course, in reference to the old Morris Canal, I was thinking of WATERLOO VILLAGE in Stanhope, not Lafayette Village - which is a shopping mall further west.

Maybe I'll see you there at The 2006 and 11th Biennial
is coming home to Waterloo Village, Stanhope, New Jersey.
September 28 – October 1, 2006.