7.17.2005

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory

Definitely a keeper!

As someone who has sat through many, many viewings of Willy Wonka featuring Gene Wilder, I was looking forward to seeing the new take on Charlie & The Chocolate Factory with Johnnie Depp and Tim Burton.

Yeah. I liked it a lot. From the earlier version I missed the fizzy lifting drinks. Here I couldn't understand the words to most of the songs. The screen credits said that the lyrics were by Roald Dahl - so I'm sure they are in the book. I shall ask to borrow my daughter's anniversary copy. Until then, I think I'd like to read the lyrics on the Web site.

(Lyrics to the songs about Mike Teavee and Veruca Salt are available as PDFs on the web site, link above. Many other activities are online - but the site has a ways to go before it is finished because many of the attractions say COMING SOON - as IF they didn't know the movie would be out now?)

I think I'd like to see it again. There's a lot of detail and small stuff I probably missed.


I wasn't too keen on the Oompa Loompa inside joke of it being one guy over & over. I did enjoy the 60s parodies and tributes, however. There was no wall paper to taste the snozzberries. The boat ride was missing the chicken head - and it wasn't quite as scary. I was thinking mostly of what wasn't in the Burton film. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I thought it was a lot of fun and I laughed out loud several times (and sometimes by myself).

The Wonka-vator goes to new heights and it's not the end of this movie. Plus, you see the other children exiting the factory at the end of the day - something lost in the earlier version. Charlie's poverty is really played up here and could make a grown man cry. But it all comes down to his family - something Willie gave up years ago.

I think I'd like to see it again. There's a lot of detail and small stuff I probably missed.

We saw Violet's mom's Twirling trophy on the wall - a cross of batons. And her mother said, Keep your eyes on the prize. I think I've heard that before somewhere. Have you?

I was much impressed with Depp's take on Willy. And the little kid breaks your heart without even trying. I also liked the way Charlie saw all Willy's dad's clippings and that that part was never spoken - except in the hug. The film operates on many levels and works well. Some parts will be too intense for small children.

Definitely a keeper!

I look forward to seeing it again & again & again.

Copyright © 2005 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved.

Copyright © 2005 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reservedIt's not just about selling sweet tasting candy, you know.



Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Web Site

No comments: